Application of precision techniques in agriculture, right from the beginning period of sowing to the matured timing of harvest has now gained the attention of the various agricultural experts and farmers. Read to learn more about how it can change the world…
Technology and Modern Farming
With the advent of modern equipment and technology, this is no more a surprise to see the widespread implementation of technology over traditional sectors like agriculture. In fact, agriculture is one of the most attracting sectors, with a huge traction in the field of biotechnology, sustainable management etc.
Precision Agriculture or Satellite farming (or site-specific crop management (SSCM) is a farming management concept based on observing, measuring and responding to inter and intra-field variability in crops.
- This technique focuses on utilizing resources optimally to improve the quality and quantity of crops while lowering the cost of production, through the reduced use of fertilizers and pesticides, prevents soil degradation, utilizes water optimally and raises productivity.
- On the global scale, this is practiced with the help of modern, eco-friendly farming practices and technology, including satellite imagery and information technology.
“This innovation can go a long way in tackling many of our country’s farm ills, including excessive use of water and other inputs, which has hurt soil quality apart from making farming unprofitable as a profession. Precision is a desirable quality that has been missing.”, says one of India’s leading agricultural scientist M.S. Swaminathan, Chairman of the M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation.
GPS-Generated Grid Method
Soil Fertility Management
- This involves dividing a field into several small and equal divisions using the sub-inch accuracy of GPS. Soil samples are mechanically taken from each sub-division and this process is technically known as “Grid Sampling.”
- Samples are tested in a modern soil testing laboratory for several parameters including physical and chemical characteristics of the soil and recorded.
- Using the test results of this grid samples, composite colour–grams are created through computer simulation on each of the parameters for the entire field. LeanAgri provides soil analysis service under which the soil is tested for 15 essential soil parameters and 11 essential water parameters
- The color-grams are stored as stencils in the computer for various functions. One of the chief among the functions is balancing soil fertility of the field with respect to all major, secondary, and micronutrients.
In practical experience, the savings in fertilizer cost from this variable rate application alone will more than offset the cost involved in the programme. Besides, use of this method brings about a greater uniformity of soil fertility in the field, leading to maximum economic yields of crops, which could not be achieved through other methods.
The grid generated by GPS is stored in the computer and used for site-specific evaluation and monitoring of numerous functions involved in crop production to achieve peak efficiency in farm management. Some of these areas are listed below:
- Planting variable rates of seed to maximize crop yields from the specific fertility of each grid section.
- The GPS-guided grid system helps to apply variable rates of herbicides and pesticides to achieve maximum control of weeds and pests. This not only reduces the cost of chemicals used but also improves the efficiency of pest control and protects the environment.
- This enables the farmer to address the application of fertilizers at variable rates to meet the specific requirement of each grid section, thus improving fertilizer use efficiency. The crop solutions provided by LeanNutri provides the farmers with a season-long schedule of fertilizers to ensure the most efficient use of money.
- Irrigation rates are tailored to the requirement of each grid area improving water use efficiency.
- At harvest, crop yield information is recorded on a grid section basis. Solutions for differences of yield between grid sections are sought through computer analysis of all variables controlling yield of crops that are stored in the computer.
Modern farming methods increase the production in almost every sector. Using modern agriculture and farming is a must because modern farming methods can increase production and can feed the world.
Most of the farmers around the world are doing their farming or agricultural business by the knowledge and experience which they have obtained from their relatives or previous generation.
Many eligible and famous researchers throughout the world are constantly researching and getting good results. But the main issue is that their results are not being published and marketed properly. In some cases, the results of these research are restricted to the journals, publications, and books.
There are many agricultural universities in our country to improve our agricultural condition. Modern meditation, ideas, technologies are available in the agricultural industry to ensure maximum use of the natural resources. We, at LeanAgri, want to simplify all of them and share the achievements of these researchers around the globe to the masses.
LeanAgri is an agro-tech startup set up in Pune, Maharashtra. We provide critical resources to farmers at appropriate times to implement the technologies.
Our vision is to increase incomes of farmers by increasing farm yields through systematic implementation of scientific techniques, providing essential resources and regular monitoring.
Our solutions are farm specific, can be customized for any crop, and can be implemented in other regions of the country with our operations started and tested Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Himachal Pradesh.
With our Machine Learning based algorithm, we provide you with season-long crop schedules and doorstep delivery of fertilizers across the country at very nominal prices.
Together with this, we have developed an SMS and IVR based system which will remind you of the various things to be done according to the schedule so that you do not miss out on anything.
All of this comes with a 24*7 season-long support from our team of Agronomy experts who will help you out in case of an emergency.
We are incubated and formally associated with ICRISAT (International Crop Research Institute of Semi-Arid Tropics). They provide us with agronomy support, crop growth data and nutrient analysis, especially for the 6 mandate crops.
On-field trials and research is being conducted in collaboration with ICRISAT to identify and validate the techniques developed by LeanAgri. We are also supported and validated by institutions like DOGR & IISR.
Grow Efficient, Grow More!!